Friday, July 29, 2011

Panasonic Lumix 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 G Vario Aspherical MEGA OIS Lens for Micro Four Thirds Interchangeable Lens Cameras


I have read that 14-45 might be a little sharper lens, but I have Panasonic GF1. I do not have any of the big G or GH models. So for me, size matters. When I bought GF1 the idea was to go small. What is the purpose to get a little M4 / 3 camera and then mount the big heavy lens on it? It defeats my purpose, I already have full-frame Nikon D700 with a selection of large and heavy lenses for it. So I got GF1 14-42, 20mm and 45-200. These three lenses that cover me from 28 to 400mm.

14-42 is a very small, very light lens. Yes, unlike the other two M4 / 3 lenses in my arsenal is 14-42 manufactured in China (the other in Japan) and has plastic mount (the other two are metal bracket). It also costs $ 199, comes with a hood, and focuses quietly and instantly in any lighting. Its focus is quieter and faster than the 20mm F/1.7 for sure. It has built-in image stabilizer. Unlike the 45-200, you can not turn off the stabilization via a button on the lens itself. But of course you can turn off the stabilization in the camera menu itself, so the possibility is still there, it's right on the Camera menu, not the lens.

This lens is so easy that you do not even notice the weight difference when you mount it on the GF1. I plan to use it as daylight walkaround lens. At night or in dim light, I'll switch to the 20mm F/1.7. Both lenses are so small that you can get others in your jacket pocket and then change them at any time.

My review and five stars are strictly for use with small M4 / 3 body and GF1 or Oly pens. For Panasonic G and GH models, is the great big already, you may pay twice as much for 14-45 for the alleged increase in sharpness (if indeed it is) makes more sense for you, then 14-45 can balance well on a Such richness. For GF1 / 2, is the small, quiet 14-42 (so no sound of the lens while shooting a movie) a smarter choice, in my opinion

No comments:

Post a Comment